The Onstead Institute provides various scholarships and funding assistance opportunities throughout the year.
Onstead Institute / CVAD Galleries Fellowship in Museum Education
The Onstead Institute for Education in the Visual Arts and Design and the College of Visual Arts and Design Galleries at UNT are collaborating to offer a graduate student a singular fellowship opportunity to gain experience working and learning aspects of museum education. The fellow would be a collaborator and partner with CVAD Gallery staff under the supervision of the Director and Curator and working in the following ways:
- Contribute to research and development of educational aspects in forthcoming exhibitions
- Research, develop and implement collections and exhibition-related art activities for student and family audiences
- Work with education staff to create learning materials for the general public and K-12 audiences
- Assist with select exhibitions related to public programs
This fellowship is generously funded through the Onstead Institute for Education in the Visual Arts and Design. The fellow will receive $8,000 in payments of $4,000 per semester.
Participating students will enroll for three credit hours per semester in ART 5450: Internship with the Department of Art Education and Art History for a total of six credit hours. The instructor of record at UNT is Laura Evans. The six credit hours in ART 5450 can fulfill the internship requirement for the graduate Art Museum Education Certificate. For more information visit the Art Museum Education Certificate web page.
This fellowship consists of 10 hours per week at the CVAD Galleries for a total of 135 hours on-site at the museum per semester. This fellowship runs from the start of the fall semester (2020) to the end of the spring semester (2021). The fellow and their supervisor at the CVAD Galleries will decide how to distribute the 10 hours over a week.
Applicants must be currently enrolled graduate students at the University of North Texas and have completed at least one art museum education course. Preferred candidates will have some experience in museums or as educators.
Materials Needed to Apply
- A letter stating your qualifications and interest in the fellowship
- A writing sample
- A resume or curriculum vitae
- Names and contact information for two references
Email materials as Word or PDF attachments to email@example.com by 5 p.m. on Friday, May 22, 2020.